Versailles Baptist Church was organized in April 1842. It held services in a number of rented or borrowed spaces before it purchased Lot #74 at the corner of Main and Green Streets. Since then, three different sanctuaries have stood in that place - each undergoing renovations to accommodate more people.
As the church grew, it acquired adjacent properties. In 2002, two of the church-owned houses on Green Street were razed to make room for a new building that would house Sunday School classrooms, a nursery, a youth area, staff offices, restrooms, an elevator, and a large fellowship hall and kitchen. The total cost of the project was $3.5 million. The new building was dedicated on September 7, 2003.
An initial capital stewardship campaign called “Building on Faith” brought in pledges totaling roughly $900,000, leaving $2.86 million to be financed. Since then, the church has given $3.5 million in payment toward principal and interest. Now we embark on an exciting new opportunity to greatly reduce our remaining debt of $1.6 million and save $407,500 in interest.
The purpose of the Imagine: Freedom to Do More campaign is to drastically reduce or eliminate the debt owed on the building addition. Doing so will provide the opportunity to expand future outreach and increase our commitment to missions, evangelism, children and youth ministries. With over 20,000 people in Woodford County who do not attend church on a given Sunday, we need to be relieved of any burdens which might hinder our quest to make Jesus known in Versailles and around the world!